NEWS: Nike kicks off Olympic initiative with Wieden and Kennedy films
Nike’s Olympic Games extravaganza breaks this weekend with another epic film by Wieden and Kennedy, entitled ‘search and destroy’.
Nike’s Olympic Games extravaganza breaks this weekend with another epic
film by Wieden and Kennedy, entitled ‘search and destroy’.
The campaign’s 60-second lead commercial was directed by Tony Kaye, with
a soundtrack by Iggy Pop, and stars a host of sporting icons. It focuses
on the exertions, joys and sorrows associated with intense competition.
The raucous music was chosen to reflect the mindset of athletes.
The ad was written by Stacey Wall and art directed by Susan Hoffman. It
includes close-up shots of athletes in competition and portrays their
pain, sweat and emotions.
The campaign is more product-focused than recent Nike work. Ben Simonds-
Gooding, the account director on Nike at Wieden and Kennedy Amsterdam,
said: ‘We have tried to get real about what people go through in sport.’
Two further 30-second executions, also directed by Kaye, feature a
voiceover spoken by the Hollywood actor, Willem Dafoe.
The first ad, which shows the runner, Michael Johnson, in the build-up
to a race, claims there are two sides to a sprinter: ‘The side that
wants to crush opponents and leave them blue and lifeless by the side of
the track and the other, darker side.’
The third spot focuses on the strength of the swimmer, Tom Dolan, as he
powers through the water, while the voiceover declares: ‘Some people
quit when they’ve reached their threshold of pain. Some don’t.’
The print campaign will launch new tennis, cross-training and running
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Shopper Insights Manager PepsiCo negotiable, Theale
- Senior Account Manager Ice (London) Ltd Competitive Salary dependent on experience, Windsor, Berkshire
- Data Journalist PRISM Highly Competitive, London
- CMI Director Ball & Hoolahan £95,000 + Car/Car Allowance , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Market Insight & Analysis Manager - 4 month contract Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment c.£50K-£65K pro rata or Day Rate, London (Greater)
- Freelance SEO Consultant Major Players £200 - £250 per day, London