Agencies line up for £9m Magnet task
Magnet, the kitchen, bedroom, home office and bathroom manufacturer, is reviewing its £9 million creative account, which is currently held by McCann Erickson Manchester.
McCann will defend its 16-year hold on the account against three other undisclosed agencies. These are said to include two regional shops and one from London.
The review follows what has been described as a lacklustre Christmas performance from the retailer - senior executives fear that its advertising has become too anonymous.
Magnet's media assignment will remain with Universal McCann Manchester.
Magnet executives led by Nick Booth, the company's brand marketing manager, have spent the past two months talking to agencies before finalising their shortlist. Pitches will take place within the next six weeks.
For McCann, the review is the latest of a series of repitches which have threatened its tenure of the business.
Magnet, which is part of the Nobia Group, one of the biggest kitchen companies in Europe, has more than 200 showrooms throughout the UK and employs more than 1,700 people.
The review comes as Magnet faces intensified competition from the DIY "sheds". As a result, its advertising has been heavily price-led.
"It's a frustrating account to work on," an industry source said. "The company is preoccupied with footfall and almost permanent 'sales'. It has never really tried to underpin its brand with a strategy and this can wear agencies down."
Magnet enjoyed a 13 per cent jump in kitchen sales last year and saw its operating profit climb by 47 per cent to £27.7 million.
This article was first published on Campaign
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Senior Account Manager [Shopper Marketing] - Excellent London Agency - c£36k + Fill Recruitment Ltd c£36k + and great benefits, West London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...