Leo Burnett tops list of Cannes Lions winners
Leo Burnett London lost out to Cliff Freeman & Partners for the coveted Grand Prix at the International Advertising Festival in Cannes last week.
The agency's favoured "bear" spot for John West Food, directed by Danny Kleinman, was beaten by Cliff Freeman's campaign for Fox Sport's regional coverage - which bagged two-thirds of the jury's vote.
Partizan's Traktor directed the Fox campaign.
Burnett fared better than any other agency, however, securing three gold Lions for "bear", its "quick" spot for Heinz Microwaveable Soup and its "estate agent", "plumber" and "Hansen" spots for McDonald's.
Altogether, UK agencies won eight of the 24 gold Lions awarded last
Lowe Lintas walked away with a gold for its latest offering for
Interbrew's Stella Artois beer, "hero's return".
BMP DDB picked up a gold award for its "driving test" TV spot for the Volkswagen Passat, as did Bartle Bogle Hegarty for its "twist" commercial for Levi's jeans. Mother bagged a gold for its "emergency"
execution for Coca-Cola's Dr Pepper.
J. Walter Thompson's emotive TV spot for the Special Olympics, "different", which starred an Olympian with Down's Syndrome, also secured a gold Lion.
The US followed close behind the UK, its agencies landing six golds in total, plus the Grand Prix. The countries also tied their total number of film honours, with 16 each.
Bob Isherwood, the president of the film jury, is introducing a book called The President's Log which will name and shame agencies that enter scam ads in future.
Last year DDB/Chicago's "whassup?" campaign for Budweiser took the top prize. "What are you doing?", Goodby Silverstein's upper-class version, won a bronze this year.
The number of winners was down on last year. The film jury awarded just 70 Lions, compared with 101 in 2000. A total of 24 gold Lions weren awarded, one less than in 2000.
The International Advertising Festival has announced plans to extend the awards by adding a marketing services event next year.
This article was first published on Campaign
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
- Account Manager Purple Consultancy £25000 - £32000 per annum, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...