Stars line up to support Labour Party's last election broadcast
LONDON – Labour has enlisted a number of high-profile celebrities for the party's final party political broadcast to woo voters away from the sofa and down to the polling station.
The spot features stars such as Richard Wilson, famous for his role as Victor Meldrew in 'One Foot in the Grave'; former glamour model Melinda Messenger; Sir Alan Sugar, currently appearing in BBC Two's 'The Apprentice'; David Tennant, who will be the next 'Doctor Who'; R'n'B singer Beverly Knight; and 'Star Trek' star Patrick Stewart.
The television plea is being broadcast this evening, amid conflicting reports about Labour's lead in the polls.
The celebrities all repeat the Labour slogan "If you value it, vote for it" and emphasise that it would take just one in 10 voters to stay at home for the Tories to win the election.
Model and presenter Messenger praises the party for the work it has done in helping families, saying: "The fact that there are available and funded nursery and childcare places is fantastic."
Tony Blair has given this message to the public: "The only way of getting a Labour government is to go out and vote for it."
An earlier party political broadcast for the Labour Party was directed by Academy Award winning Anthony Minghella, who directed the film 'The English Patient'. The Conservatives have hit back with a spot using the Andrew Lloyd Webber song 'Take that Look Off Your Face', asking voters how they would feel with another five years of Blair.
The Liberal Democrats recently ran a broadcast presenting Blair and Tory leader Michael Howard as children, criticising the involvement in the invasion of Iraq.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- SENIOR ADVERTISING MANAGER (MATERNITY COVER) notonthehighstreet.com Competitive , Richmond
- Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London