BBC online game proves a hit with Doctor Who fanatics
LONDON - A BBC online viral game created by New Media Collective to promote the new 'Doctor Who' series has amassed 500,000 separate plays in just three weeks.
The game was commissioned by the BBC to coincide with the airing of the 'Doctor Who -- Dalek' episode on April 30 and will run until June 18.
The player becomes a Dalek in the game, and must escape from a secret underground bunker. There are 10 levels to get through as the player discovers various weapons and alien technology from Henry Van Statten, a collector of alien technology.
More than 275 websites now list the game and its popularity is said to be spreading around the world from players in countries including Australia, Switzerland and Japan.
The game was also a top-three entry into the Lycos Viral Game Chart and has been featured on online game website Freeloader.
David Eccles, managing director of New Media Collective, said: "It's a lot more than button bashing -- it's fun but also requires thought and a certain amount of cunning from players -- which the 'Doctor Who' audience clearly loves.
"The feedback we are getting is amazing. People are sitting down and playing the game for an hour at a time and enjoying every minute of it. This is unheard of for an online game, they are normally over in a couple of minutes."
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Senior Account Manager [Shopper Marketing] - Excellent London Agency - c£36k + Fill Recruitment Ltd c£36k + and great benefits, West London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...