Public Sector: GLA calls in Freuds to forge links with China
The Greater London Assembly (GLA) has appointed Freud Communications to both promote the capital to the Chinese and to urge London businesses to invest in the Chinese market.
The agency - better known for its consumer and celebrity credentials - is seeking to attract businesses, students and tourists from China following London Mayor Ken Livingstone's decision to target one of the fastest growing economies in the world.
The appointment also addresses concerns that Britain is 'significantly behind' other European countries in taking a share of the Chinese market. France and Germany in particular have taken considerable steps to establish a presence in China.
The move comes after last December's publication of the Enter the Dragon report, in which the GLA identified high output and efficiency as benefits of the Chinese economy.
The brief includes promoting London as a gateway to the UK for Chinese businesses, and the launch of mayoral offices in Beijing and Shanghai.
Freuds will work with interested parties such as investment agency Think London, government body UK Trade & Investment, education group London Higher and VisitLondon.
Freuds recently became the latter's first retained agency (PRWeek, 6 May). MD Fiona Noble said: 'The details of the campaign are at early stages.'
Agencies on GLA's roster were not invited to pitch.
The roster - comprising The Forster Company, Fishburn Hedges, GCI, Good Relations, QBO Bell Pottinger and Trimedia Communications - was not used because of the nature of the contract, a spokeswoman said.
This article was first published on PR Week UK
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...