Eco-friendly water firm Belu turns to corn for latest packaging
LONDON - Mineral water brand Belu is consolidating its environmental credentials with the launch of a biodegradable bottle made out of corn.
The firm, which previously only used glass bottles, claims the new packaging, which can be commercially composted within eight weeks, is "the UK's first eco-friendly, biodegradable bottle".
Marilyn Smith, Belu co-founder, said: "Belu's biodegradable bottle is a means of reducing the rubbish in our landfills and empowering consumers to vote for a cleaner planet every time they go in a store."
The new bottles will be available through outlets that already stock the brand, including Waitrose and London restaurants and clubs such as Nobu, Sketch and the Groucho Club.
Firms already using corn as a substitute for plastic include the Co-operative Bank, which uses it for its credit and debit cards.
Belu already invests all its net profits into clean water projects around the world and uses a UK spring in Shropshire to cut down on transport costs.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- SENIOR ADVERTISING MANAGER (MATERNITY COVER) notonthehighstreet.com Competitive , Richmond
- Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London