Madonna and Iggy Pop to star in Motorola iPod ad
LONDON – Motorola has signed up Madonna, Iggy Pop and generations of music stars to promote its first iPod music phone, the Motorola Rokr, which is due to be unveiled next week.
It is reported that Motorola has signed an artist from every generation to appear in the ads, including Little Richard, Bootsy Collins, Lil' John, The White Stripes, Sleater-Kinney, Sum 41, Mya, Pussycat Dolls and Billie Joe from Green Day.
Look-a-likes of Beethoven, Jimi Hendrix and Biggie Smalls are also featured.
According to a report in The Sun, the mobile giant is in negotiations with The White Stripes, Alanis Morissette and The Bravery to appear in the spot, created by Ogilvy & Mather, which will see the music stars confined in a phone box.
It is believed the celebrities involved will be filming the ads at different times.
Madonna, who was recently in the press after falling from her horse during her 47th birthday celebrations, filmed her piece for the ad at Shepperton Studios yesterday.
A Motorola spokesman refused to comment on the ads but confirmed that Madonna and Iggy Pop were to star.
Reports this week hinted that Apple is due to make a major announcement -- believed to be the new phone -- on September 7.
The ads may debut from next week, at the same time the Motorola phone with iPod personal music system is launched.
The new phone will be in direct competition with Nokia, which recently unveiled its combined phone and personal music player called the N91, described as a "mobile jukebox" by the company.
It will also let users download songs while they are on the go, instead of only when they are connected to a computer -- a feature that may not yet be included on the Motorola/iTunes version, according to reports.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- SHOPPER MARKETING ACCOUNT HANDLERS - London agencies - £38k-55k (perm & freelance) Judi Patton £28-£55k- plus bonus and benefits, London
- head of new business > #1 DIGITAL & CONTENT AGENCY collectivo £60k-£80k plus agency bens, Central London
- Account Director Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 per annum, London
- Senior Account Manager - [Retail / Digital] - Superb agency! £35k - £39k Fill Recruitment Ltd £35k - £39k + bonus & benefits, Central London
- Marketing Manager - FMCG - London or Home counties Stonor £45,000 - £55,000 dependent on experience , London, Essex, Bucks or Oxon
- Creative Director The Marketing Practice Up to £120k dependant on experience , East Hendred, near to Didcot in Oxfordshire