MI6 to boost recruitment prospects with launch of first website
LONDON - MI6, the UK intelligence service, has taken another step towards shaking off its shadowy, secretive reputation by launching its first website.
Available in English, Russian, French, Spanish, Arabic and Chinese, the MI6 site has gone live this morning.
The purpose of the site is to clarify what MI6 does and to help it recruit staff, whom it says "share a 'can-do' approach and determination to get the job done".
It says it exists to collect foreign intelligence and provide "a global covert capability to promote and defend the national security and economic well-being of the United Kingdom".
The site also answers questions about the service and its remit, as well as why it is called MI6, and why the chief of the organisation is called "C".
Although it is embracing the new-media age, people wishing to apply for a job at MI6 will have to resort to the old-fashioned method of sending in a CV and a covering letter. But MI6 promises that successful applicants enjoy work that is "stimulating, often exciting, always varied and, in the technical field, often cutting-edge".
MI6 is officially known as the Secret Intelligence Service, and its existence was not formally acknowledged until 1994.
Despite its newfound approachability, MI6 still does not have a press office and will maintain its policy of not commenting on staff or operations.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- SHOPPER MARKETING ACCOUNT HANDLERS - London agencies - £38k-55k (perm & freelance) Judi Patton £28-£55k- plus bonus and benefits, London
- head of new business > #1 DIGITAL & CONTENT AGENCY collectivo £60k-£80k plus agency bens, Central London
- Account Director Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 per annum, London
- Senior Account Manager - [Retail / Digital] - Superb agency! £35k - £39k Fill Recruitment Ltd £35k - £39k + bonus & benefits, Central London
- Marketing Manager - FMCG - London or Home counties Stonor £45,000 - £55,000 dependent on experience , London, Essex, Bucks or Oxon
- Creative Director The Marketing Practice Up to £120k dependant on experience , East Hendred, near to Didcot in Oxfordshire