BBC Three to screen Doctor Who spin-off starring Captain Jack
LONDON – 'Doctor Who' writer Russell T Davies is writing a spin-off series for BBC Three called 'Torchwood', based around the Captain Jack character from the revitalised show.
The 13-part drama series is aimed at a post-watershed, adult audience and has been described as a mix between 'X Files' and the mid-1990s drama series 'This Life'.
Former 'Live and Kicking' presenter John Barrowman will reprise the role of Captain Jack, who appeared in the last series of 'Doctor Who'.
Davies said: "'Torchwood' is a British sci-fi paranoid thriller, a cop show with a sense of humour. It's dark, wild and sexy."
Stuart Murphy, BBC Three controller, said 'Torchwood', an anagram of Doctor Who, was a massive coup for BBC Three.
"It's the biggest drama we've ever had on the channel. It introduces a different tone into our drama, just as Russell's 'Casanova' earlier this year brought warmth and humour."
The series is being produced by BBC Wales in Cardiff, as was the last 'Doctor Who', but the storylines from the shows will not cross over.
The second series of 'Doctor Who' is due to air later this year, with 'Casanova' star David Tennant as the Doctor and Billie Piper as his assistant Rose.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- SENIOR ADVERTISING MANAGER (MATERNITY COVER) notonthehighstreet.com Competitive , Richmond
- Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London