BBC Three to screen Doctor Who spin-off starring Captain Jack
LONDON – 'Doctor Who' writer Russell T Davies is writing a spin-off series for BBC Three called 'Torchwood', based around the Captain Jack character from the revitalised show.
The 13-part drama series is aimed at a post-watershed, adult audience and has been described as a mix between 'X Files' and the mid-1990s drama series 'This Life'.
Former 'Live and Kicking' presenter John Barrowman will reprise the role of Captain Jack, who appeared in the last series of 'Doctor Who'.
Davies said: "'Torchwood' is a British sci-fi paranoid thriller, a cop show with a sense of humour. It's dark, wild and sexy."
Stuart Murphy, BBC Three controller, said 'Torchwood', an anagram of Doctor Who, was a massive coup for BBC Three.
"It's the biggest drama we've ever had on the channel. It introduces a different tone into our drama, just as Russell's 'Casanova' earlier this year brought warmth and humour."
The series is being produced by BBC Wales in Cardiff, as was the last 'Doctor Who', but the storylines from the shows will not cross over.
The second series of 'Doctor Who' is due to air later this year, with 'Casanova' star David Tennant as the Doctor and Billie Piper as his assistant Rose.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Paid Search Manager ( PPC ) - Leading Search Specialist Group Ultimate Asset £30000 - £35000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Digital Web Designer: Fashion, Web, Email, Tablet, Mobile, HTML Creative Recruitment £30000 - £35000 per annum, London
- Lead Graphic Designer (Print, Publishing, Fashion, Lifestyle) Creative Recruitment £35000 - £40000 per annum, London
- Media Manager- BOUTIQUE agency- £40K! Ultimate Asset £35000 - £40000 per annum, London
- Sales Manager- Dynamic Video, digital & Mobile Business Ultimate Asset £35000 - £45000 per annum + amazing commission, London
- Account Director PFJ £40000 - £50000 per annum, London