BBC Three to screen Doctor Who spin-off starring Captain Jack
LONDON – 'Doctor Who' writer Russell T Davies is writing a spin-off series for BBC Three called 'Torchwood', based around the Captain Jack character from the revitalised show.
The 13-part drama series is aimed at a post-watershed, adult audience and has been described as a mix between 'X Files' and the mid-1990s drama series 'This Life'.
Former 'Live and Kicking' presenter John Barrowman will reprise the role of Captain Jack, who appeared in the last series of 'Doctor Who'.
Davies said: "'Torchwood' is a British sci-fi paranoid thriller, a cop show with a sense of humour. It's dark, wild and sexy."
Stuart Murphy, BBC Three controller, said 'Torchwood', an anagram of Doctor Who, was a massive coup for BBC Three.
"It's the biggest drama we've ever had on the channel. It introduces a different tone into our drama, just as Russell's 'Casanova' earlier this year brought warmth and humour."
The series is being produced by BBC Wales in Cardiff, as was the last 'Doctor Who', but the storylines from the shows will not cross over.
The second series of 'Doctor Who' is due to air later this year, with 'Casanova' star David Tennant as the Doctor and Billie Piper as his assistant Rose.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 27k to 35k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...