Press Gazette honours journalists with Hall of Fame exhibition
LONDON - Some of the UK's most influential journalists over the past 40 years, including 92-year-old former Daily Telegraph editor Bill Deedes and former Guardian editor Peter Preston, are to be honoured in a Hall of Fame.
The Hall of Fame is part of a photographic exhibition and gala event being held tonight at London's National Portrait Gallery to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the journalists' trade paper, the Press Gazette.
Journalists from the past and present have been invited to attend the exhibition of the 40 being honoured, which were chosen by a panel of former and present newspaper editors including: Sir Harold Evans, editor of the Sunday Times from 1967-1981; Alan Rusbridger, editor of The Guardian; and Paul Dacre, editor of The Daily Mail.
The judges were looking for names that had a "profound influence" on generations of journalists and succeeded in informing entertaining and provoking readers across the country.
The judges chose the 40 names from a list of 150 to come up with the members that would feature in the Hall of Fame. Among those on the list include 14 editors, one photographer and five women.
The youngest member on the list is Matt Pritchett, aged 41, who is a pocket cartoonist for The Daily Telegraph, and is one of three cartoonists on the list, along with the late Carl Giles of the Express and the Sunday Times's Gerald Scarfe.
Some 15 of the names are still working in newspapers today, including Daily Mail columnists Keith Waterhouse and Ian Wooldridge, and The Sun's political editor Trevor Kavanagh.
Ian Reeves, editor of Press Gazette, said: "What distinguishes the names that make up the Press Gazette Newspaper Hall of Fame from their contemporaries is that these are journalists who have produced work of an extraordinary standard, year after year, in the most competitive industry in the world."
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £52,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Digital Acquisition Manager - Leading Online Biz GoodEgg Digital £70k + Bonus and Benefits, United Kingdom / England / North West England / Lancashire / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Search Marketing Manager - International Markets Search Laboratory £24,000 - £30,000 per annum + benefits , Yorkshire and the Humber / North Yorkshire / West Yorkshire / Harrogate, North Yorkshire / Leeds,...
- Marketing Communications Senior Manager Lloyd's of London Competitive salary and benefits package , London (City of), London (Greater)