JD Wetherspoon takes on coffee chains with 49p hot drinks
LONDON - Pub firm JD Wetherspoon is taking on the high street coffee chains by cutting the price of its hot drinks from 99p to just 49p to attract commuters on their way to work.
The promotion has been developed by the pub chain in response to new licensing laws, which mean that pubs can open earlier and close later, resulting in a new range of customers according to Wetherspoons.
Customers can buy cappuccino, latte, mocha, espresso and regular coffee from Italian-made Lavazza coffee machines for 49p until January 18.
After this date, hot drinks will be sold at the permanent price of 69p. The promotion excludes central London and airport outlets.
Wetherspoon is looking to make an impact on the £200m-a-year coffee market and rival chains such as Costa Coffee, Cafe Nero, Pret a Manger, Starbucks and Marks & Spencer Hot Food to Go, many of which charge more than £2 for drinks.
Costa Coffee said it did not see the promotion as a threat, saying that the coffee will not be freshly roasted nor made by an expert who has trained for three years.
John Hutson, Wetherspoon chief executive, said: "I believe that the coffee served in the pub is the same quality as those on offer in the high-street chains like Starbucks, Costa Coffee and Caffe Nero. The difference is that a coffee at The White Ball Inn won't cost a small fortune."
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...