Llewelyn-Bowen gets second chance at 'Millionaire' jackpot after unfair question
LONDON - Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen is to be given a second chance to win £1m in a celebrity version of 'Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?' after producers decided that a question he and his wife got wrong had been unfair.
Llewelyn-Bowen, an interior designer who became famous when he appeared in BBC One's long-running 'Changing Rooms', has filmed a special Valentine's Day version of the ITV quiz show along with his wife Jacqueline.
In a turn of events that may surprise some viewers, the couple make it to the £1m question only to fall at the final hurdle. The question they were asked was: "Translated from the Latin, what is the motto of the United States?"
In the programme, the Llewelyn-Bowens confidently answer "In God we trust", which is the motto that appears in English on American currency, and was designated as the national motto in 1956.
However, the correct answer is "one out of many", a translation of the Latin phrase "e pluribus unum", which has been a motto since 1776 and also appears on the currency.
Now Celador, the producer of 'Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?', has said that the Llewelyn-Bowens can film another question, because the original question did not meet the standards of fair play set by the show.
This will give the pair the chance to increase their donation to chosen charity The Shooting Stars Children's Hospice from the £32,000 they walked away with to between £500,000 or £1m -- should they answer correctly.
"How unusual is it to get a second chance in life? But as far as we are concerned this charity really deserves this, so we're clearing our diaries and going back for another onslaught and are grateful to Celador for the opportunity," Llewelyn-Bowen told the Daily Telegraph.
Other questions the couple answered correctly included one on who developed the idea of the handkerchief. The answer is Richard II. The episode is due to be screened on February 11.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Account Manager Ice (London) Ltd Competitive Salary dependent on experience, Windsor, Berkshire
- Head of Engagement Planning (UK) BespokeHR £80,000 - £85,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Marketing and Communications Alexandra Palace Trading £40,000 + bonus + benefits, London (Greater)
- Interim Head of Brand The Rank Group To attract the right person!, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- Marketing Manager - Entertainments Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance , South East England
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Retail - London/Greater London - Salary depending on experience Judi Patton depending on experience, Hertfordshire / London (Greater) / London (North), London (Greater) / London (South), London (Gre...