Ricky Gervais podcast gets 2m downloads halfway through series
LONDON - It is only halfway through the series yet 'The Ricky Gervais Show' on Guardian Unlimited has been downloaded more than 2m times.
The online series, which features all-new material, was launched in December and soon became the most popular podcast in the UK and the US, toppling Chris Moyle's BBC Radio One breakfast show off the UK top spot.
This week's episode, the seventh in the series, features Gervais, Steve Merchant and Karl Pilkington discussing things such as: the pictorial canonisation of St Karl the Bewildered; how fingers that do dishes can feel soft as your face; and sound advice on maintaining good neighbourly relations.
Gervais said: "Usually, in order to be heard by millions of people you have to do a show on Radio One or Two. The problem is, those stations expect you to be competent and professional. We had to find a way round that."
Emily Bell, editor-in-chief at Guardian Unlimited, said: "To have such a huge success with a podcast so early in the medium's development is enormously encouraging.
"Guardian Unlimited's approach to podcasting, as with all new opportunities that the internet opens, is that we want to challenge assumptions and exceed expectations of what a newspaper website is and what it can deliver. "
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...