Doctor Who spin-off Torchwood finds leading lady in Myles
LONDON – The Russell T Davies-penned 'Torchwood', a BBC Three spin-off from 'Doctor Who', has found its leading lady in the form of Welsh actress Eve Myles as it gets ready for an autumn showing.
Myles first featured in an episode of 'Doctor Who' last year as Gwen, the character she reprises for 'Torchwood'. Previous roles include 'Soundproof' for BBC Two and 'Belonging' for BBC Wales.
Davies, who previously wrote 'Queer as Folk' and the hugely successful resurrection of 'Doctor Who', said: "I've admired Eve's work for years, and when she was able to guest star in 'Doctor Who' last year, it just confirmed to me that she was one of Wales's best-kept secrets.
"The part of Gwen in 'Torchwood' was written specially for her, so it's a good thing she said yes, Eve and John Barrowman have already met up, and the combination is going to be electrifying."
Myles will will star alongside former 'Live and Kicking' presenter Barrowman, who returns in the role of Captain Jack.
The 13-part drama series is aimed at a post-watershed, adult audience and has been described as a mix between 'X Files' and the mid-1990s drama series 'This Life'.
'Torchwood', an anagram of 'Doctor Who', is due to start filming this summer and will debut on BBC Three this autumn. It will air at a later date on BBC One.
The series is being produced by BBC Wales in Cardiff, as was the last 'Doctor Who', but the storylines from the shows will not cross over.
The second series of 'Doctor Who' is due to air later this year, with 'Casanova' star David Tennant as the Doctor and Billie Piper as his assistant Rose.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...