Spoof viral scoops top digital Cannes prize for droga5
LONDON - A spoof viral ad created by Dave Droga's agency droga5 for clothing company Ecko, in which a graffiti artist tags President Bush's Air Force One, has shared the Cyber Lions Grand Prix prize with Crispin Porter & Bogusky.
The controversial three-minute film "still free", which is Ecko's mantra, uses an old aircraft painted in similar colours to Air Force One and a mock-up of Andrews Air Force base.
It shows two man sneaking up to the fence around the base and climbing over to get to the plane and tag the words "still free" onto the side of the 747.
The ad was created by New York-based droga5, the agency launched by Australian Droga, the former executive creative director at Saatchi & Saatchi and worldwide creative director for Publicis network.
The aim of the spot was to reinforce Ecko's graffiti heritage to enhance the brand and street credibility. Droga5 says it created the viral not only to be viewed, but debated at length.
The ad attracted so much media attention that the Pentagon was forced to issue three denials that it was real.
As well as the large number of stories on US news networks, the film was reportedly picked up by 17,000 news outlets. The viral also carries a lengthy text disclaimer at the end pointing that the tagging was pure fiction.
Designer and graffiti artist Marc Ecko founded youth clothing and accessories brand Ecko in 1993.
Crispin Porter & Bogusky in Miami took its share of the Cyber Lions Grand Prix prize for its Golf GTI campaign for Volkswagen.
Director on the spot was Randy Krallman, art director was Duncan Marshall and copywriter was Jeski Takaharo.
The win makes for a good week for the Miami-based agency, earlier this week it won the first Promo Grand Prix award again for the Volkswagen Golf GTI campaign.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £52,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Digital Acquisition Manager - Leading Online Biz GoodEgg Digital £70k + Bonus and Benefits, United Kingdom / England / North West England / Lancashire / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Search Marketing Manager - International Markets Search Laboratory £24,000 - £30,000 per annum + benefits , Yorkshire and the Humber / North Yorkshire / West Yorkshire / Harrogate, North Yorkshire / Leeds,...
- Marketing Communications Senior Manager Lloyd's of London Competitive salary and benefits package , London (City of), London (Greater)