WPP's Sorrell tops the adland salary league
LONDON - Sir Martin Sorrell, the chief executive of WPP, continues to lead the way in the pecking order of adland salaries.
However, Sorrell's salary increase, of 3.2%, was paltry compared with Creston's Don Elgie, whose salary rocketed by 35 per cent in the year to 31 March.
Sorrell was paid £859,000 in the year to December 31, according to figures from Companies House, as reported in Marketing Services Financial Intelligence. Sorrell's bonus and share awards make for a larger package overall. He was awarded a bonus of £1.6m, based on performance, and £798,000 in shares, plus more than 1m shares as part of WPP's LEAP scheme.
Elgie, who has masterminded acquisitions including Delaney Lund Knox Warren & Partners and Tullo Marshall Warren, was paid £309,000. He was also awarded a bonus of £300,000 and awarded 21,926 shares. Robert Lerwill, Sorrell's former WPP colleague and now the chief executive of Aegis, was paid less than his predecessor, Doug Flynn. Lerwill, who took the Aegis chief executive role in February 2005, pocketed a basic salary of £548,000 for the 11 months to December 31 2005, which was 22% less than Flynn's £640,000 pay for the full 12 months of 2004.
Lerwill's bonus, however, amounted to £519,000 under terms which offered up to 100 per cent of salary. He was also granted options in more than 1.5m shares at 105p.
The Chime chairman Lord Bell saw a 12% salary rise and a £92,250 bonus.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Marketing Executive Network Marketing £25000 - £30000 per annum, Manchester
- Account Director - FMCG to £50k Network Career Consultants £45000 - £50000 per annum, London
- User Experience / User Interface (UX/UI) Designer Harnham £40000 - £80000 per annum + Bonus & excellent benefits, City of London
- Marketing Manager Better Placed Recruitment £25000 - £30000 per annum + benefits, Greater Manchester
- Social Media Account Manager - Global Agency - London Digital Gurus £27000 - £32000 per annum + Benefits , London
- Responsive Designer (Top 10 NMA) Premier Media £35K + benefits, Central London