BBC World's news output overtakes key US rivals
LONDON - The popularity of BBC World's news output in the US is on the rise, overtaking its cable competitors, according to an independent report by The Erdos and Morgan Opinion Leaders Survey.
The survey, which polled more than 480,000 adults between May and June this year, found that of 52 TV news programmes available in the US, those on BBC World ranked sixth, with 144,000 viewers.
BBC World's news output eclipsed competition from the likes of 'Face The Nation' on CBS and 'Nightline' on ABC, with BBC World News on channel PBS (Public Broadcasting Service) coming eighth overall, and BBC News on BBC America ranked 23rd.
The corporation's output also scored highly across a number of different categories, and came third for objectivity, fifth for credibility, sixth for influence and seventh most regularly viewed.
Sian Kevill, BBC World editorial director, said: "In a country so proud of its journalistic tradition, BBC World ranking so highly for credibility, influence and objectivity bodes well for the expansion of our 24-hour channel in the US."
BBC World began its first steps towards the creation of a 24-hour news channel for the US market in November 2005, when it secured a three-hour block on BBC America to replace its half-hour daily bulletins.
The Erdos and Morgan Opinion Leaders Survey results were collated from workers across the public and private sector, including members of executive and congressional branches of government, and representatives from the media, science and business industries.
*At the same time BBC World announced the appointment of Annabel Cameron as its new head of marketing.
Reporting to Jane Gorard, director of marketing and communications for BBC World, Cameron will be responsible for developing and managing the channel's marketing plans. In addition, she will manage the in-house marketing teams in London, Mumbai and Singapore and the channel's advertising, digital and media planning/buying agencies.
She has worked for the BBC for seven years and her roles have included: commissioning editor for new media, BBC Interactive TV; digital TV marketing manager, BBC; brand manager, BBC Children's TV; and product manager, BBC Education.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Assistant Marketing Strategy Manager Thorntons £Competitive + Benefits, Alfreton, Derbyshire
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £Excellent Salary Package , South East England / London (Greater)
- Innovation Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £48,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East England
- Digital Marketing Specialist Colyer London £25000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Brand Manager Diageo Great reward package for great talent, Amsterdam / Dublin / Madrid / London (Greater)