Jamiroquai promotes Walkman phone with Gig in the Sky
LONDON - Sony Ericsson is spearheading a marketing push for its new Walkman W950i phone, by holding a gig featuring Jamiroquai performing at 35,000 feet on a 757 jet plane flying over Europe.
The "Gig in the Sky" is aiming to break the record for the highest ever concert. A Guinness World record adjudicator will be present to judge the attempt.
Stefan Streit, Sony Ericsson head of marketing for Western Europe, said: "We wanted to stage an extraordinary live music experience. And this world first does just that.
"It demonstrates that Sony Ericsson Walkman phones give people the chance to listen to great music any time, anywhere -- without limitation."
It is not the first time that Sony Ericsson has attempted to tap into the youth market in its promotional activities.
In November 2006, the company created a microsite that allowed users to upload their remixes of songs. The composer who received the most votes was then given the opportunity to perform the track live at a gig performed by Radio BBC Radio 1 DJ Zane Lowe.
Consumers can log on to www.sonyericsson.com/giginthesky to enter the draw to win tickets to the airborne concert.
The gig will also be available to Sony Ericsson Walkman customers via downloads later in 2007.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...