Guild steps down from MTV Europe presidency
LONDON - Simon Guild, the president and chief executive of MTV Networks Europe, is to leave the broadcaster after 14 years.
Guild is credited with developing MTV Networks' major brands, such as MTV and Nickelodeon, and finding ways to expand those brands through consumer products, digital media, events and marketing partnerships. MTV Networks Europe now has 65 websites, 15 broadband services and 21 mobile TV channels.
Guild spearheaded a number of strategic initiatives for MTV Networks Europe, including acquisitions of German music channel Viva, TMF and Game One services.
He also oversaw Nickelodeon's expansion in Europe with launches in Germany, the Netherlands, Portugal and Turkey. Most recently, Guild developed the company's network of comedy channels, culminating in the launch of Comedy Central in Germany this week.
Bill Roedy, vice-chairman of MTV Networks, said: "Over the past 14 years, Simon has been instrumental in driving the growth of the company's European business, which has become the region's biggest portfolio of leading multimedia brands under his leadership."
Guild said: "I am proud to have played a key role in developing the business, but I want to move on to new challenges. As my contract was expiring, it seemed like a logical time to make a change. I know that I am leaving the business in the hands of some extremely capable executives across Europe with whom I have enjoyed working enormously. Over the next few weeks, I will work with them and the company's leadership to ensure a smooth transition."
Before becoming president, Guild was previously executive vice-president and chief operating officer overseeing MTV Networks Europe's business operations such as productions Europe, broadcast services, finance, IT and human resources. Guild joined MTV Networks Europe in 1993 as head of strategy and planning. He was promoted to chief operating officer in 1997.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Mid Weight UX Designer Daniel Marks London 40k, Central London
- Senior UX Architect Daniel Marks London 65k, Central London
- ACCOUNT MANAGER - Consumer Brands! Royds Raphael £35k-£40k / £150-£220+ day rate depending on experience, Central London
- Integrated Account Manager air recruitment Up to £30K dependent on experience, Central London
- Digital Intelligence Manager air recruitment Up to £50K dependent on experience, Central London
- Senior Planner (Brand Engagement) air recruitment Up to £70K dependent on experience, Central London