GfK finds more users tuning into mobile TV
GfK Technology has found that 70 per cent of active subscribers are tuning in to mobile TV at least once a week.
According to the study, most of these subscribers watch mobile TV for less than half an hour at any one time, with 38 per cent claiming their typical viewing is longer than 20 minutes.
More than half of respondents said they signed up to mobile TV to "have something to do during downtime". Meanwhile, 18 per cent said the main reason for acquiring mobile TV was "to watch a programme when away from my main TV", while 10 per cent said it was to "catch a particular programme".
Colin Strong, director of GfK Technology, said the findings were "encouraging" and they demonstrated a growing market for mobile TV services.
"As a time-filler, the proposition of mobile TV is a good one, but it is a vulnerable position to have as there are plenty of other activities that can become time-fillers. Tapping into the drivers for TV has much more potential for growing the market."
The study found news and weather, sport and music videos were the most popular forms of mobile TV, attracting 65 per cent, 56 per cent and 46 per cent of users respectively.
Technology consultancy Strategy Analytics predicts there will be 50 million mobile TV users by 2009, generating revenue of about £3.5 billion for operators.
This article was first published on revolutionmagazine.com
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 27k to 35k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...