DHL to sponsor Formula 1's fastest laps trophy
LONDON - Delivery service DHL is to honour the Formula 1 driver who accumulates the most fastest laps during the racing season with a DHL Fastest Lap Trophy.
This trophy is the first time the sport has awarded the driver who completes the fastest lap.
Formula 1 will start the new season on March 18 in Australia and DHL will serve as a global partner and the official logistics provider for F1. In this role, it moves race cars, replacement parts, pit-crew equipment and special fuel.
Wolfgang Giehl, director of corporate advertising and branding at DHL owners Deutsche Post World Net, said: "Given these shared demands, an active role in Formula 1 was the obvious choice for us. By linking the DHL brand to the fastest lap during a race and the trophy for the driver with the largest number of fastest laps during the season, we want to show that you can be fast only if performance, endurance and reliability are finely tuned and all team members pull together."
Michael Schumacher holds the record for the largest number of fastest laps in the history of the sport, with 76. He is followed by Alain Prost with 41 and Nigel Mansell with 30. Ferrari holds the lead among racing teams with a total of 193 fastest laps.
In 1993, Damon Hill drove the fastest lap of all time while competing in the Italian Grand Prix at Monza, with an average speed of 249.8kph.
Bernie Ecclestone, chairman and chief executive at F1 Management, said: "The DHL Fastest Lap Trophy recognises the very things that make Formula 1: speed and organisation, the very things that DHL portray. We rely on the most successful partner in this sector."
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Account Manager fishtank 32k to 42k per year GBP, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...