E-tailers must optimise websites for festive season
LONDON - E-tailers must act to ensure websites are customer-friendly over the Christmas period, found a YouGov study commissioned by e-commerce firm Logan Tod & Co.
Online retail: plan for Christmas rush
“Our research reveals that it is light shoppers that are set to drive most of the predicted increase in online spend this Christmas,” said Mathew Tod, CEO of Logan Tod & Co.
The study has found that light shoppers - those whose online spend accounted for less than a quarter of their total Christmas shopping spend - are set to increase online spend this year by 57 per cent.
This figure compares with an increase of only 28 per cent for heavy shoppers, whose online Christmas spend accounted for more than three quarters of total purchases.
“The age range of light shoppers tends to fall predominantly in the over 50s region, whereas heavy shoppers spread fairly evenly from 18 to 50,” added Tod.
Light shoppers value simple, yet often overlooked, website features when making purchasing decisions online. The top three features have been identified as -- good site search function to help you find what you were looking for; well-written text that explains the product clearly with high quality images and delivery options which are clear and convenient.
“To maximise sales increases online, retailers must therefore adapt their websites to suite the tastes of an older, more affluent demographic,” said Tod. “Get your basics up to scratch or risk losing the older, more affluent online shoppers this Christmas.”
Interactive Media in Retail Group (IMRG) reported that UK shoppers broke the £100 billion barrier since internet shopping became available in the UK in 1995.
Further predictions by Verdict indicate online spend in the UK is set to triple over the next five years.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Mobile Manager Ultimate Asset £35000 - £50000 per annum + excellent benefits, City of London
- International Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Data Planner - Superb Agency - Soho - up to £50k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £50k + great benefits, Soho, London
- Marketing Studio Manager Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £38000 - £40000 per annum, Gloucestershire
- Strategic Alliances Manger, major RTB platform Ultimate Asset £35000 - £40000 per annum + +comm, London
- Head of Shopper Insights & Strategy Dynamic New Alliances £80000.00 - £100000.00 per annum + benefits, London