Johnston Press to offer mobile news
LONDON - Johnston Press, publisher of The Scotsman, plans to roll out a news subscription service via mobile phones across its 120 titles next year.
The new service will be rolled out gradually using telecommunications provider g8wave and featuring local headlines.
Subscribers will be able to choose between either a general news alert service or updates, according to their interests.
Third-party advertising opportunities are being investigated and trials will be carried out at smaller regional titles before the service is extended across larger publications.
Johnston Press is building a database of potential users of the service through local marketing initiatives, including "text to win" competitions and downloadable discount vouchers that can be used to redeem services and products.
The publisher's group newspaper sales and marketing director, Chris Pennock, said: "We are starting at a small base, but growing rapidly. In the past few months we have seen month-on-month growth of up to 40 per cent at some titles, but they are still very small numbers.
"What it shows, though, is that there is a market and an interest in this type of technology."
This article was first published on Media Week
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Copywriter fishtank 25k to 40k per year GBP, Marlow, Buckinghamshire
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Head of Marketing fishtank 45k to 60k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Senior Account Executive fishtank Up to 24,000, United Kingdom
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...