Suing culture ruins your landscape, experts warn
Fear of being sued is making local authorities obsessed with safety and turning urban areas into “fun-free, soul-less spaces”, says CABE Space.
The Government watchdog said the cost of bogus or excessive compensation claims to UK councils was around £117 million a year, worth an extra 3,900 park keepers. Ancient trees, boating lakes, adventure playgrounds, festivals, markets, water features and public art were therefore being classed “too risky” by jittery authorities, said CABE Space on the launch of a new 10-point manifesto. Last month Suffolk County Council outlawed hanging baskets from lampposts in Bury St Edmunds fearing one might fall on somebody’s head, even though this had never happened in the 18 years they had been on show. It was the latest in a string of similar decisions that have seen horse chestnut trees threatened with the chop because their conkers might be a “danger” to youngsters and the removal of a swing from a village playing field on the grounds it faced into the sun and could blind children. Manchester City Council's budget for tackling compensation claims – nine out of 10 of which fail - is bigger than its budget for repairing the city's broken pavements. CABE is urging people to sign up to the manifesto at www.itsyourspace.org.uk
This article was first published on Horticulture Week
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Client Partner The Great & The Good £80000 - £90000 per annum + significant benefits, London