Branding: Woolworths secures Somerfield presence
Woolworths has formed a partnership with Somerfield to extend its own-label range beyond its own stores.
The high-street retailer is to trial branded concessions offering homewares, toys and home entertainment products in three Somerfield stores. Concessions will be staffed by Woolworths' employees and supported by interior and exterior branding.
In a further eight Somerfield stores, Woolworths Worthit! branded small domestic appliances and homewares will replace the bulk-pack items that are usually located on the supermarket's 'Wall of Value'.
Somerfield will launch reciprocal food concessions offering sandwiches, ready meals, fresh fruits and essential groceries in three Woolworths city-centre branches.
Woolworths claimed that the tie-up is part of a wider strategy to work with third parties to extend the reach of its own-brand products. A spokeswoman said that another 80 of its stores are under consideration for further concession work.
Both Woolworths and Somerfield already lease concessions to Peacocks, while National Schoolwear Centres holds concessions in some Woolworths stores; Robert Dyas holds a similar deal with Somerfield.
Colum Lowe, managing director of retail design agency Caulder Moore, said he does not believe the relationship will be a long-term one. 'There is more in it for Woolworths than Somerfield,' he added.
Woolworths' concessions in Somerfield stores will roll out this month. The supermarket's concessions are expected to appear in Woolworth's stores in the next six months.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Strategic Planner - to £50k Network Career Consultants £45000 - £50000 per annum, London
- European Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 per annum, South East
- Marketing & Research Manager - $1.8b Global Publisher Recruitment Revolution Excellent Salary + Bonus Potential + Full Corporate Benefits Package, Chichester
- CRM Manager - Iconic London Brand Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £40K-£60K + Benefits Package, Central London
- Senior Marketing & New Business Manager Dynamic New Alliances £32000.00 - £45000.00 per annum + Benefits, City of London