Adspend on social networks set to rise 77%
LONDON - Adspend on social networking sites, such as Bebo and Facebook, is expected to rise 77% from £65m to £115m this year as the activity continues to grow in popularity in the UK.
In 2012, marketers are projected to spend £285m, a 148% increase over 2008, according to the research by eMarketer.
An estimated 11m or about 30% of UK internet users participated in online social networking last year.
The UK accounts for 68% of social networking adspend in Western Europe.
The social networking ad market still trails the US by one to two years but eMarketer expects that the UK market will enjoy slightly greater gains in social network adspend, percentage wise, than the US.
However, social sites represent a tiny portion of UK online adspend at just 3.4% in 2008.
Debra Aho Williamson, senior analyst specialising in social networking and author of the report, said: "Though social network advertising is forecast to grow aggressively this year, it will only do so if social network operators can develop substantial metrics showing the value and performance of the advertising."
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Qualitative Researchers Lipton Fleming £20000 - £75000 per annum + Benefits, London
- Senior Digital Planner Buyer: £30k Ultimate Asset £28000 - £30000 per annum, City of London
- Programmatic Account Manager Norton Leigh £45,000, Central London
- Head of Digital Strategy Norton Leigh + Benefits, London