SMG approves £53m Virgin Radio sale
LONDON - SMG shareholders have approved the £53.2m disposal of Virgin Radio to Times of India.
Incoming owner, Absolute Radio, owned by Times of India, did not purchase the rights to the Virgin brand and will be relaunching an entirely new national radio brand in the UK this autumn. There will a £15m investment to create and market the new brand.
Richard Huntingford, executive chairman of Virgin Radio, announced he would be stepping down from his position at the beginning of the month, but is contracted to stay with the company until September 2008. He will use this time to help with the transition.
Absolute Radio chief executive Donnach O'Driscoll will assume the same role at Virgin Radio, as will chief operating officer Clive Dickens and Absolute Radio financial director, Adrian Robinson.
Nick Hewat, Virgin Radio sales director, David Lloyd, programming director and Andy Grumbridge, digital director, will all stay with the company once its acquisition by Absolute Radio is complete.
Times of India is one of India's biggest media conglomerates. It has interests in print, TV, radio, the internet and events, managing some of India's biggest media brands including Grazia, Top Gear and The Times of India.
This article was first published on Media Week
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
- Senior Digital Planner - Superb Integrated London Agency - FMCG Accounts - Up to £70K Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £70K, London
- Designer/Illustrator/Children's Designer Premier Media plus excellent benefits, Central London
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...