SMG approves £53m Virgin Radio sale
LONDON - SMG shareholders have approved the £53.2m disposal of Virgin Radio to Times of India.
Incoming owner, Absolute Radio, owned by Times of India, did not purchase the rights to the Virgin brand and will be relaunching an entirely new national radio brand in the UK this autumn. There will a £15m investment to create and market the new brand.
Richard Huntingford, executive chairman of Virgin Radio, announced he would be stepping down from his position at the beginning of the month, but is contracted to stay with the company until September 2008. He will use this time to help with the transition.
Absolute Radio chief executive Donnach O'Driscoll will assume the same role at Virgin Radio, as will chief operating officer Clive Dickens and Absolute Radio financial director, Adrian Robinson.
Nick Hewat, Virgin Radio sales director, David Lloyd, programming director and Andy Grumbridge, digital director, will all stay with the company once its acquisition by Absolute Radio is complete.
Times of India is one of India's biggest media conglomerates. It has interests in print, TV, radio, the internet and events, managing some of India's biggest media brands including Grazia, Top Gear and The Times of India.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Fundraising Development Officer Comic Relief From £35,000pa, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Digital Creative Manager UCAS £comp + 25-days leave, flexible benefits and other fringe benefits, including Xmas closure , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Digital Media Manager Save the Children £37,000 + Benefits, London (Greater)
- Consumer Activation Controller Mast-Jaegermeister UK Limited Salary depending on experience. Additional bonus, pension, BUPA, life assurance, 25 days' holiday., Camberley, Surrey
- PR Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £35,000 + Benefits, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)