Facebook's global visitor numbers beat MySpace
LONDON - Facebook has overtaken MySpace in terms of worldwide unique users and is 9m ahead of its rival's 115m total, according to figures for May published by traffic measurement company ComScore.
ComScore's figures show Facebook has grown at a rate of 162% from 47.2m visitors in May 2007 to 123.9m in May 2008. In contrast, MySpace has grown just 5% from 109.5m to 114.6m.
In April Facebook was marginally ahead of its News Corporation-owned rival, by around 0.5m users, but now a 7.2m gap has opened up between them.
The two sites are leagues ahead of the third-ranked Flickr.com, the photo and video sharing site owned by Yahoo!, which has 54m visitors. Its numbers have grown by 101% since last May when it had 26.8m.
The results provide a fillip for Facebook, from which some members of the original executive team have departed in recent weeks. Adam D'Angelo, chief technology officer, left in May and Matt Cohler, Facebook's first official hire and product development head, left last week.
Facebook is a private company and does not disclose official sales or profit figures. However people close to the company have claimed that it made $150m in sales last year with the figure expected to rise to up to $350m this year, according to the Financial Times.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
- Senior Digital Planner - Superb Integrated London Agency - FMCG Accounts - Up to £70K Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £70K, London
- Data Analyst - (Games Development Studio) - Guildford Guru Careers £Competitive (DOE), Guildford, Surrey (GU2)
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...