Facebook's worldwide usage overtakes MySpace
LONDON - Facebook has overtaken MySpace with its number of unique visitors reaching 123 million people worldwide during May.
During the same period, 114.6 million visitors used News Corporation-owned MySpace, according to figures from ComScore,
The figures show rapid growth during the month for Facebook and is 162% above the figure for May last year. During the same period, traffic to MySpace was up by just 5%.
Rupert Murdoch, chairman of News Corporation, has been reported in the press as hitting back at the findings by describing Facebook as a directory, not a social network. He said that the site had "done a great job of being flavour of the month in the last six months of last year".
Facebook is a private company and does not publish financial figures, but, according to a report in the Financial Times, people close to Facebook have said that it made $150m in sales last year, with that figure expected to grow to between $300m and $350m this year.
MySpace has hit back at the growing popularity of Facebook by focusing more on being an entertainment destination, particularly for those interested in music, and has also started to open the site to developers. It is updating its look to be more streamlined.
This article was first published on Media Week
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
- Senior PPC Account Manager (In-house) Step Ahead Recruitment £30-£40K, Staines, Middlesex
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...