Twitter acquires search engine Summize
SAN FRANCISCO - Microblogging site Twitter has acquired the Summize search engine for an undisclosed sum.
Twitter co-founder Evan Williams told technology blog Tech Crunch that the size of the transaction was not being disclosed, but was paid "mostly in stock".
Summize crawls online reviews and blogs to create summarized reviews of music, movies, books and other media. It provides search listings for the most reviewed and most popular products; recent blog mentions; YouTube videos; and sites linked to through blogs.
Discussions between the tech companies had been underway for months. Summize helped Twitter last month to keep the platform stable during the launch of the Apple 3G iPhone.
Twitter has hired five out of six Summize employees, all engineers, who will move to work at Twitter in San Francisco. The search engine's chief technology officer Greg Pass has been appointed as Twitter's director of engineering and operations.
Williams said Twitter was "really impressed by the quality of their user interface, the quality of their search and a bunch of features", and was "super-impressed with their engineering, [and] with their culture".
Summize's founder and chief executive officer Jay Verdy is developing other start-ups and is not joining Twitter.
The deal, which had been under discussion for some time, was closed in the last week.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...