Top Up TV signs PlayPhone deal
LONDON - Top Up TV, the digital pay-TV service, is joining forces with mobile company PlayPhone to launch a TV channel, called PlayPhone Hits.
The venture, which debuts on Top Up TV on Saturday (6 September), is the first time a mobile entertainment brand has launched its own branded television channel.
PlayPhone, which currently has a presence in more than 20 countries, hopes the channel will help boost subscriber numbers and generate additional revenue via SMS.
PlayPhone Hits will showcase mobile content, some of which is currently available through its Splash Mobile service, including music videos, games and celebrity gossip. Viewers will be encouraged to interact by texting or visiting a website.
Jim Hytner, commercial director of Top Up TV, said the move marked the entry of a wave of non-traditional broadcasters to the TV market.
Hytner, who has held senior marketing positions at Sky, ITV and Five, joined the digital TV provider from Barclays UK earlier this year.
In July, Top Up TV confirmed a deal with Warner Bros to broadcast its programmes on demand. The deal brought programmes including The West Wing, Nip/Tuck and sitcom Two and a Half Men to the service.
PlayPhone also has content deals with blue-chip brands, including Sony BMG, EMI, Disney and Sega.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £52,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Digital Acquisition Manager - Leading Online Biz GoodEgg Digital £70k + Bonus and Benefits, United Kingdom / England / North West England / Lancashire / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Search Marketing Manager - International Markets Search Laboratory £24,000 - £30,000 per annum + benefits , Yorkshire and the Humber / North Yorkshire / West Yorkshire / Harrogate, North Yorkshire / Leeds,...
- Marketing Communications Senior Manager Lloyd's of London Competitive salary and benefits package , London (City of), London (Greater)