Top Up TV signs PlayPhone deal
LONDON - Top Up TV, the digital pay-TV service, is joining forces with mobile company PlayPhone to launch a TV channel, called PlayPhone Hits.
The venture, which debuts on Top Up TV on Saturday (6 September), is the first time a mobile entertainment brand has launched its own branded television channel.
PlayPhone, which currently has a presence in more than 20 countries, hopes the channel will help boost subscriber numbers and generate additional revenue via SMS.
PlayPhone Hits will showcase mobile content, some of which is currently available through its Splash Mobile service, including music videos, games and celebrity gossip. Viewers will be encouraged to interact by texting or visiting a website.
Jim Hytner, commercial director of Top Up TV, said the move marked the entry of a wave of non-traditional broadcasters to the TV market.
Hytner, who has held senior marketing positions at Sky, ITV and Five, joined the digital TV provider from Barclays UK earlier this year.
In July, Top Up TV confirmed a deal with Warner Bros to broadcast its programmes on demand. The deal brought programmes including The West Wing, Nip/Tuck and sitcom Two and a Half Men to the service.
PlayPhone also has content deals with blue-chip brands, including Sony BMG, EMI, Disney and Sega.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Client Account Manager Content is King c. £25k per annum dependent on experience, SW1