Mobile networks join forces with trade body
LONDON - The UK's five major mobile phone networks have appointed the Internet Advertising Bureau as the trade body for the nascent mobile advertising market.
The big five - 3, O2, Orange, T-Mobile and Vodafone UK - have formed a steering committee, with the IAB acting as a trade body to educate advertisers and agencies about the benefits of mobile advertising.
All five networks will provide funding to the IAB as it expands its remit to include the mobile market.
A report made in August by IT research group Gartner predicted that mobile advertising would be worth over £12bn globally by 2011.
Last November the IAB created the Mobile Council, which will be responsible for the planning and execution of a numbers of events, educational publications and research projects aimed at developing the promising market.
The first event will take place at the Mobile Forum in Budapest on October 7.
An IAB study published late last year concluded that the mobile advertising market is viewed in much the same way as online was at the turn of the century - lacking standards, measurement systems and case studies demonstrating its benefits.
Neil Andrews, head of portal advertising with 3, said "The next few years are critical to the development of the [mobile] medium and we are confident the IAB can facilitate the future success of mobile advertising, in the same way that it has done with online."
The deal follows a similar agreement made in February with mobile industry body the GSM Association with the aim of developing a measurement system for mobile advertising.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...