Leading news sites hoover up overseas users in August ABCes
LONDON - There were double-digit monthly rises in user numbers for the Guardian, Telegraph and Times websites in August, but overseas users accounted for almost all of the growth.
In a month where coverage of the Olympics would be expected to generate more users than July, Times Online profited most with a 20.1% increase, but the Mail Online surprisingly slipped by 6.6%.
The field was again led by Guardian.co.uk, which added almost 2.5m users from its record figure last month. The 12.1% increase took it to 23.1m.
However, its UK user total showed more anaemic growth, climbing 3.7% to 8.8m. This was characteristic of the whole field of sites, excluding The Sun.
Telegraph.co.uk held on in second place with a 17.7% monthly increase to 22.1m users. However, its UK total actually dropped by 1.4% to 6.3m.
It was overtaken by TimesOnline, which added more than 3m users from July to reach 19.7m. This was an overall increase of 20.1%, while UK users increased 4.4% to 6.16m.
Overall, The Sun was flat, growing user numbers 0.1% to 16m, but within that total the number of UK-based users rose 15.4% to 5.5m.
Independent.co.uk also stayed more or less flat, rising 0.6% to 6.6m; it does not report to ABCe how many UK users it has.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...