BrewDog takes legal action against Portman Group over Speedball
LONDON - BrewDog, the Scottish beer company, has taken its row with the Portman Group to a new level by instituting defamation proceedings against the drinks industry regulator over comments relating to its beer brand Speedball.
BrewDog has instructed the London law firm Pitmans to take up a defamation action against Portman Group chief executive David Poley for accusing the company of ‘profiteering from the scourge of illegal drugs, mocking the misery caused by the misuse' through its marketing of Speedball.
Speedball is the name given to the practice of combining heroin and crack cocaine and was deemed to have breached the Portman Group's code of practice which bars drinks brands that make an association with illegal drugs.
The company is seeking a public apology, a removal of the comments, legal costs and a donation made to an alcohol abuse charity of its choice.
David Poley, Portman Group Chief Exectuive, said: ‘BrewDog are trying to gag us from criticising this grossly irresponsible product. Most people will be appalled at their crass attempt to market a drink using the theme of illegal drugs. Instead of wasting time on futile legal action, they should concentrate on promoting those drinks we've not banned.'
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Regional Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Regional Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Client Partner The Great & The Good £80000 - £90000 per annum + significant benefits, London