Facebook mulls virtual currency
LONDON - Facebook is considering plans to roll out a virtual currency to allow users to buy virtual items and games more easily via the social network.
Mark Zuckerberg considering virtual currency for Facebook
Gareth Davis, Facebook's programme manager for games, said the social networking site is looking at adding virtual currency later this year.
Davis said the addition of currency would be a massive undertaking and would have to be done carefully.
Facebook boasts more than 5,000 games, with 11 million users playing the most poplar, Texas HoldEm Poker.
The site has offered virtual gifts since 2007. They are paid for with ‘credits' purchased on credit cards.
Facebook's virtual currency could work like Second Life's Linden Dollars, which allow users to purchase and sell virtual items and convert the profits back into real money.
In the past year, Facebook game developers have raised more than $75 million in venture capital funding.
Separately, Facebook is also promising to tweak its recent redesign by adding more filters to the news feed following complaints from users.
According to ComScore, Facebook is now the world's largest social networking site, with more than 175 million users. Last November, one in five internet users accessed Facebook.
This article was first published on revolutionmagazine.com
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Senior Account Manager [Shopper Marketing] - Excellent London Agency - c£36k + Fill Recruitment Ltd c£36k + and great benefits, West London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...