Watchdog clears early showing of sexy Durex ad
LONDON - A TV ad for Durex, promoting its pleasure-enhancing gel for women, has escaped a ban by the ASA.
The ad features a montage of silent clips of women apparently in the throws of sexual pleasure, accompanied by muisc from Mozart’s The Magic Flute.
A female voiceover says: "Feel like never before. New Durex Play O. Pleasure-enhancing gel for women. Durex play, all you need."
Clearcast had given the ad a post-11pm restriction, but a viewer saw the ad at 10.05pm on Channel 4.
The viewer complained to the Advertising Standards Authority that the ad was offensive and overly graphic to be shown on TV.
McCann Erickson, which created the ad, said it contained no sexual scenes and limited nudity, with only male torsos being visible.
The agency believed its ad stayed within the remit of acceptable viewing and given its post-10pm broadcast, said it was unlikely that children aged 12 and under would be watching.
Channel 4 explained that occasionally they would broadcast ads earlier than Clearcast guidance depending on their programming schedule.
The ad had been timed to coincide with the film Venus, the content of which was likely to attract a suitably adult audience.
The complainant had claimed that the ad should not be broadcast at any time but the ASA found that the ad contained no explicit material and was unlikely to cause offence.
The watchdog agreed that the scheduling was appropriate and decided that no further action was necessary.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Project Manager (Digital) Dynamic New Alliances £50000 - £60000 per annum, City of London
- Digital & Print Account Manager Ultimate Asset £27000 - £33000 per annum + amazing bonus scheme & benefits, London
- Global CRM Manager Ball & Hoolahan £60,000, International/Europe
- Assistant Brand Manager Veritas Partnership Ltd £28000 - £35000 Per Annum plus benefits, M3-A3 Corridor
- Marketing Manager, £40K, TECH Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £30000 - £40000 per annum, Benefits: Great Benefits, Salary dependent on exp, London