UM creates diversity unit to tap into ethnic opportunities
LONDON - UM has created a diversity unit to focus solely on targeting ethnic audiences for advertisers, through a new joint venture with ethnic-focused communications consultancy Glen Yearwood Group.
106 & Park: Black Entertainment Television's popular US music show
The IPG Mediabrands agency is launching the eight-strong division with the new media buying responsibilities for Viacom's TV brand Black Entertainment Television, worth an estimated £1m.
The diversity unit will be run by UM chief strategy officer Russell Place and Glen Yearwood. UM becomes the second top-10 media agency in the UK to create a specialist division for cultural diversity.
For the past five years, WPP's MediaCom has used its CultureCom division to help drive tailored ethnic campaigns, including those for the COI and Metropolitan Police, and win work for the 2011 census.
UM is hoping its new venture with Yearwood, a cross-cultural marketing specialist who has also picked up work for the next UK Census, will secure its position in this growing market.
The diversity team will focus on traditional and non-traditional channels for new and existing clients, with direct input from all areas of UM's brand teams.
Mark Middlemas, managing partner for business development at UM, who helped broker the venture, called it "a critically important area of communications" where current media measurement tools and research are "often not enough".
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Business Development Manager Pure360 £20,000 - £25,000 depending on experience. £45k OTE uncapped, Brighton
- Comms Planning Manager PFJ £30000.00 - £35000.00 per annum, London