On the Agenda - Poor diet linked to bad eyesight
In a nutshell
Two-thirds of Brits could be risking their eyesight with poor diets. According to research released last week, 65 per cent are unaware that what they eat could affect the health of their vision. The research from the College of Optometrists indicates that most of us are not getting enough of the essential nutrients needed to keep our eyes and vision healthy.
What's the big deal?
Studies have shown that a balanced diet may safeguard eye health and protect against eye diseases including age-related macular degeneration (AMD), which is the leading cause of blindness in people aged over 50 in the western world.
What can be done?
Celebrity nutritionist and author Fiona Hunter said: 'It is recommended that we eat a healthy balanced diet rich in dark leafy greens such as spinach and kale, omega 3-rich oily fish and at least five portions of fruit and vegetables a day.'
The story was released to the media on Sunday. It was picked up the following day by The Scotsman, The Herald and Daily Mirror, which ran with the headline 'Eyes at risk from eating a poor diet'. Unbranded pieces also appeared in the Metro and The Sun. The story was covered by radio outlets including BBC Jersey, Mercia FM and Minster FM.
The in-house team was supported by retained consumer agency 3 Monkeys Communications. The 3 Monkeys team was headed up by account director Anna Stanley.
- 2% of people aged 50-84 have AMD
- 20% of people aged 85 years and over have AMD
This article was first published on PR Week UK
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Biddable Paid Social Senior Executive - Top 10 Agency Ultimate Asset £25000 - £30000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Account handler ready for an immediate start? Freelance, Contract or Temp to Perm? Barker Graves Up to £250/day, central london
- Are you a Freelance AM, SAM or AD in a UK creative agency? We need you! Day rates £150 - £250 a day! Barker Graves Up to £250/day, Central London
- Freelance Account Manager? We need you now! Exciting accounts and excellent rates up to £170 a day. Barker Graves Up to £170/day, central London
- FABULOUS FREELANCERS? Look no further! Barker Graves Up to £250/day, central london
- Creative Artworker become £28K, Central London