Apple to offer Twitter $700m in takeover deal
LONDON - Apple is poised to make an offer for Twitter in a $700m (£465m) deal that could come as early as June, according to reports.
Industry blog Valleywag claims an inside source at Apple is involved in advanced negotiations with Twitter, aiming to seal a deal by June 8, when Apple is due to host its Worldwide Developers Conference.
Last November, Twitter turned down a $500m offer from Facebook, although it was understood that the deal was composed of Facebook stock, the value of which was disputed.
Apple is said to be waving an offer of $700m in cash in front of Twitter, possibly edging out Google and Microsoft who have also shown interest in the popular microblogging website.
Apple recently completed a gushing business profile of Twitter which it posted online, titled "Twitter. Triumph of humanity."
The Valleywag blog post was written by editor Owen Thomas, who announced this month he is leaving the website to work for NBC.
Also on Twitter
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Mobile Manager Ultimate Asset £35000 - £50000 per annum + excellent benefits, City of London
- International Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Data Planner - Superb Agency - Soho - up to £50k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £50k + great benefits, Soho, London
- Online Marketing Executive - global business services giant Perfect Marketing People To £25k, Manchester
- Digital Marketing Manager Salt £40000 - £50000 per annum + bonus, London
- Trainee Account Executive Michael Page Digital £16000 per annum, Guildford