Marks & Spencer recreates Penny Bazaar by selling two million items for one pence each
LONDON - Marks and Spencer is selling two million products for a penny each next week to mark its 125th anniversary.
A Penny Bazaar will be held for three days from 20 May in 300 M&S stores. The penny sale items will include jewellery, knickers, beach balls and socks.
Shoppers will be limited to five items each and extra security will be drafted in to prevent a crush.
M&S has said it wants to give customers a ‘treat'. It advisers customers get to stores early to get the best bargains.
The high street retailer took a u-turn this week after it hiked prices of bras in larger cup sizes and attracted a backlash from customers.
The store recorded a drop in sales for the fourth quarter to March 28. Sales were 4.2% lower, ahead of expectations for a fall of about 7%.
Sales of general merchandise, including clothing, fell 4.8%, better than the 8.8% decline forecast by analysts.
Food sales fell 3.7%, also better than the 5.8% that analysts had expected.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Project Manager Major Players £26000 - £28000 per annum, City of London
- Customer and Market Insight Officer Better Placed Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + Very competitive benefits package, Guildford
- Print Buyer - Print Purchasing - High Street Brand - £25-27k Salt £25000 - £27000 per annum, London
- Qualitative Researchers Lipton Fleming £20000 - £75000 per annum + Benefits, London