Marks & Spencer recreates Penny Bazaar by selling two million items for one pence each
LONDON - Marks and Spencer is selling two million products for a penny each next week to mark its 125th anniversary.
A Penny Bazaar will be held for three days from 20 May in 300 M&S stores. The penny sale items will include jewellery, knickers, beach balls and socks.
Shoppers will be limited to five items each and extra security will be drafted in to prevent a crush.
M&S has said it wants to give customers a ‘treat'. It advisers customers get to stores early to get the best bargains.
The high street retailer took a u-turn this week after it hiked prices of bras in larger cup sizes and attracted a backlash from customers.
The store recorded a drop in sales for the fourth quarter to March 28. Sales were 4.2% lower, ahead of expectations for a fall of about 7%.
Sales of general merchandise, including clothing, fell 4.8%, better than the 8.8% decline forecast by analysts.
Food sales fell 3.7%, also better than the 5.8% that analysts had expected.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Creative Production Controller (Maternity Cover) Asthma UK £34,361 - £36,169, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Commercial Market Analyst UCAS c.£35,000 , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Marketing Brand Manager Clipper Ventures Circa £40k - dependent on experience, South East England / South West England / Gosport, Hampshire
- Senior Product Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (City of), London (Greater)
- Customer Insight Manager Tottenham Hotspur Between £40,000-£45,000 per annum + benefits (dependant on experience), London (North), London (Greater)
- Sponsorship Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)