Marks & Spencer releases 125th anniversary celebration TV ad
LONDON - Marks & Spencer has become the latest retailer to release a TV ad focusing on brand history, celebrating its 125th anniversary.
The campaign, created by Rainey Kelly Campbell Roalfe/Y&R, focuses on M&S as an innovator in retail, from selling bras to avocados, and on its penny bazaar heritage.
The ad was released a week after Sainsbury's released a spot focusing on its 140-year history, which followed on from Hovis' critically acclaimed relaunch ad, released last year.
Although it will not feature M&S’s founding slogan, "Don’t ask the price. It’s a penny", the retailer does plan to launch a penny offer in-store.
Michael Marks, a Polish immigrant, founded M&S in 1884 as a market stall in a penny bazaar in Kirkgate, Leeds.
He later paired up with Tom Spencer to launch the Marks & Spencer Penny Bazaar in 1894.
The ad was released as the M&S board meets to consider a dividend cut in an attempt to ride out the recession.
View credits and watch the ad in a larger player: Marks & Spencer 'quality worth every penny' by Rainey Kelly Campbell Roalfe/Y&R
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Paid Search Manager ( PPC ) - Leading Search Specialist Group Ultimate Asset £30000 - £35000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Digital Web Designer: Fashion, Web, Email, Tablet, Mobile, HTML Creative Recruitment £30000 - £35000 per annum, London
- Lead Graphic Designer (Print, Publishing, Fashion, Lifestyle) Creative Recruitment £35000 - £40000 per annum, London
- Media Manager- BOUTIQUE agency- £40K! Ultimate Asset £35000 - £40000 per annum, London
- Sales Manager- Dynamic Video, digital & Mobile Business Ultimate Asset £35000 - £45000 per annum + amazing commission, London
- Account Director PFJ £40000 - £50000 per annum, London