Marks & Spencer releases 125th anniversary celebration TV ad
LONDON - Marks & Spencer has become the latest retailer to release a TV ad focusing on brand history, celebrating its 125th anniversary.
The campaign, created by Rainey Kelly Campbell Roalfe/Y&R, focuses on M&S as an innovator in retail, from selling bras to avocados, and on its penny bazaar heritage.
The ad was released a week after Sainsbury's released a spot focusing on its 140-year history, which followed on from Hovis' critically acclaimed relaunch ad, released last year.
Although it will not feature M&S’s founding slogan, "Don’t ask the price. It’s a penny", the retailer does plan to launch a penny offer in-store.
Michael Marks, a Polish immigrant, founded M&S in 1884 as a market stall in a penny bazaar in Kirkgate, Leeds.
He later paired up with Tom Spencer to launch the Marks & Spencer Penny Bazaar in 1894.
The ad was released as the M&S board meets to consider a dividend cut in an attempt to ride out the recession.
View credits and watch the ad in a larger player: Marks & Spencer 'quality worth every penny' by Rainey Kelly Campbell Roalfe/Y&R
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Product Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (City of), London (Greater)
- Marketing Brand Manager Clipper Ventures Circa £40k - dependent on experience, South East England / South West England / Gosport, Hampshire
- Commercial Market Analyst UCAS c.£35,000 , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Customer Insight Manager Tottenham Hotspur Between £40,000-£45,000 per annum + benefits (dependant on experience), London (North), London (Greater)
- Creative Production Controller (Maternity Cover) Asthma UK £34,361 - £36,169, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Sponsorship Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)