Marks & Spencer releases 125th anniversary celebration TV ad
LONDON - Marks & Spencer has become the latest retailer to release a TV ad focusing on brand history, celebrating its 125th anniversary.
The campaign, created by Rainey Kelly Campbell Roalfe/Y&R, focuses on M&S as an innovator in retail, from selling bras to avocados, and on its penny bazaar heritage.
The ad was released a week after Sainsbury's released a spot focusing on its 140-year history, which followed on from Hovis' critically acclaimed relaunch ad, released last year.
Although it will not feature M&S’s founding slogan, "Don’t ask the price. It’s a penny", the retailer does plan to launch a penny offer in-store.
Michael Marks, a Polish immigrant, founded M&S in 1884 as a market stall in a penny bazaar in Kirkgate, Leeds.
He later paired up with Tom Spencer to launch the Marks & Spencer Penny Bazaar in 1894.
The ad was released as the M&S board meets to consider a dividend cut in an attempt to ride out the recession.
View credits and watch the ad in a larger player: Marks & Spencer 'quality worth every penny' by Rainey Kelly Campbell Roalfe/Y&R
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Digital Creative Manager UCAS £comp + 25-days leave, flexible benefits and other fringe benefits, including Xmas closure , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Digital Media Manager Save the Children £37,000 + Benefits, London (Greater)
- Consumer Activation Controller Mast-Jaegermeister UK Limited Salary depending on experience. Additional bonus, pension, BUPA, life assurance, 25 days' holiday., Camberley, Surrey
- PR Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £35,000 + Benefits, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Executive, London, up to £40k Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £35000 - £40000 per annum, London