Marks & Spencer releases 125th anniversary celebration TV ad
LONDON - Marks & Spencer has become the latest retailer to release a TV ad focusing on brand history, celebrating its 125th anniversary.
The campaign, created by Rainey Kelly Campbell Roalfe/Y&R, focuses on M&S as an innovator in retail, from selling bras to avocados, and on its penny bazaar heritage.
The ad was released a week after Sainsbury's released a spot focusing on its 140-year history, which followed on from Hovis' critically acclaimed relaunch ad, released last year.
Although it will not feature M&S’s founding slogan, "Don’t ask the price. It’s a penny", the retailer does plan to launch a penny offer in-store.
Michael Marks, a Polish immigrant, founded M&S in 1884 as a market stall in a penny bazaar in Kirkgate, Leeds.
He later paired up with Tom Spencer to launch the Marks & Spencer Penny Bazaar in 1894.
The ad was released as the M&S board meets to consider a dividend cut in an attempt to ride out the recession.
View credits and watch the ad in a larger player: Marks & Spencer 'quality worth every penny' by Rainey Kelly Campbell Roalfe/Y&R
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Head of External Communications Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £70,000 - £80,000 tax free, Kuwait
- Production Manager Pitch Consultants £25000 - £30000 per annum, Birmingham
- Content Director AF Selection £35,000 + Bonus + Benefits, Birmingham
- Advertising Operations Specialist Propel £24000 - £32000 per annum, City of London