Starbucks recruits Twitter followers for new campaign
LONDON - Starbucks is hoping to harness the power of social media with a new ad campaign aimed at creating an online conversation between younger coffee drinkers.
Rolling out in newspapers, magazines and billboards in the US this week, the BBDO North America led campaign is understood to be Starbucks largest to date.
Outdoor activity encourages Starbucks' Twitter followers and Facebook fans to take pictures of the company's new billboards and be first to post them online. However, it was not revealed whether a reward would be offered.
Starbucks said the idea builds on an established tradition of its most fervent fans, who hold online competitions to post the first picture when their local Starbucks decorates its store red for the Christmas holidays.
Social media activity will be supported by a related YouTube channel, where Starbucks coffee experts talk up the importance of quality in its drinks.
Print ads will be text-heavy, giving an in depth look at Starbucks coffee bean roasting and selection process, promoting quality rather than cheap alternatives, like its US competitors McDonald's and Dunkin' Donuts.
McDonald's is presently in the middle of its largest advertising to date, promoting its own coffee range, McCafe.
The company reportedly spent $100m on television, print, radio, billboard and web ads for McCafe, its biggest ad blitz since it introduced breakfast in the 1970s.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
- Senior PPC Account Manager (In-house) Step Ahead Recruitment £30-£40K, Staines, Middlesex
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...