News Corp studies Google-MySpace ad deal renewal
NEW YORK - News Corporation digital boss Jonathan Miller has said that a renewal of the ad sharing search deal that MySpace has with Google may include other News Corp online properties.
Miller was speaking yesterday at the All Things Digital conference in Carlsbad, California, alongside MySpace's new chief executive Owen Van Natta.
The $900m three-year deal giving Google the exclusive right to sell search ads on the Fox digital network, which includes MySpace, is set to expire in around a year and a half, according to Van Natta.
Recent reports claim that Google is attempting to renegotiate the deal at a significant discount.
Miller said: "When it comes time to negotiate, one of the things that can be helpful is looking at it from the overall News Corp perspective."
The revenue from Google is understood to form a big chunk of MySpace's income, though Van Natta said it amounted to less than half of it.
Van Natta, who joined MySpace only last month, also talked about his task at what is now the world's number two social network after Facebook, admitting that "we're certainly not the darling of the press right now".
"When I look at MySpace there's just so much opportunity to build. I took the job because there's a lot more that can be done around innovation."
Van Natta was previously chief revenue officer at Facebook. He joined MySpace after its founders Chris DeWolfe and Tom Anderson stepped down from their jobs earlier than their previously agreed leaving date of October.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Senior Account Manager [Shopper Marketing] - Excellent London Agency - c£36k + Fill Recruitment Ltd c£36k + and great benefits, West London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...