Facebook faces protest after picture of murder victim was posted
NEW YORK - A community group is planning to hold a protest outside the offices of Facebook this week after a picture of a murdered woman's body was posted on the social networking website.
The Staten Island Good Neighbourhood Association is organising the protest.
Caroline Wimmer, a resident of Staten Island was found strangled by a hairdryer cord in March this year.
Mark Musarella, a retired policeman now working as an emergency medical technician, took a photo of Wimmer at the crime scene on his mobile phone and posted it to his Facebook page.
According to reports, he has been charged with official misconduct, but Musarella claims the picture ended up online by accident.
The protest is being organised by Signa president JE Englebert, and calls on Facebook to be subject to privacy laws in a bid to "to stop the recent crimes and safeguard youths who are being stalked across the across the City of New York and the nation" the organisation said in a press release.
A 28-year-old man, Calvin Lawson, has been charged with Wimmer's murder.
Last year a Swedish nurse was suspended from her job after she posted pictures of patients undergoing brain and back surgery to her Facebook profile. The pictures were deleted.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...