Vodafone launches Twitter/Google Maps mash-up for UK holiday makers
LONDON - Vodafone has launched a Twitter and Google Maps mash-up to promote the end of European roaming charges and allowing customers to tweet where they are going on holiday this year.
Vodafone's #ukhols map
Twitter users must tweet the hashtag #ukhols, followed by their age, sex, the first half of their postcode, complete with their holiday destination, for example, #ukhols 25 F B12 Gran Canaria, which will quickly appear on the Vodafone Google map.
The application also lets users use TwitPic to include pictures of their summer holiday spots.
The website promotes the company's decision to abolish European roaming charges throughout June, July and August, meaning customers can talk, text and send picture messages in over 37 countries and pay standard UK rates.
The #ukhols map was written by web developer Ben Marsh, who also created the #uksnow Map mash-up which was a web hit with UK twitterers in February.
The website features Vodafone branding and a streaming panel of tweets with the #ukhols hashtag.
Users can click destinations on the map to see which Twitter user is travelling to that particular spot, with a link to their profile page and the total distance travelled.
Fortunately, the site does not ask when UK holiday makers are planning to travel. This week in the US, a man claimed his house was broken into and robbed after he announced his vacation plans to his 2,000 followers on Twitter, letting the robbers know when the house would be empty.
This article was first published on revolutionmagazine.com
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Agency Candidates Required Michael Page Digital GBP25000 - GBP50000 per annum, Guildford
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...