Peta erects 'meat kills' billboard outside Glasgow swine flu hospital
LONDON - Animal rights advocates Peta have followed up their inflammatory "feeding kids meat is child abuse" poster with a billboard in Glasgow which says "meat kills".
Peta has employed its usual subtle marketing tactics by erecting the billboard outside Southern General Hospital in Glasgow, where the UK's only swine flu fatality to date was a patient.
Behind the main slogan are phrases such as "e.coli", "mad cow disease" and "swine flu". Peta says the ad aims to remind Glaswegians of the "dangers presented by filthy factory farms that supply the country with meat".
Jacqueline Fleming, a 38-year-old mother, was the first person in Europe to die from swine flu. Pregnant at the time she was admitted to hospital, she went in to labour prematurely, delivering a son who died the day after she passed away in the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Paisley.
According to government advice on the swine flu outbreak, the disease is common among pigs but does not normally infect humans.
There has been speculation that a Mexican pig farm is the source of the global pandemic.
Peta advocates vegetarian lifestyles through a mixture of messages about the healthiness of vegetarian diets compared with omnivorous ones, as well as using shocking images from the meat industry.
Poorva Joshipura, a Peta spokesperson, said: "Everyone already knows that eating meat is linked to heart disease, diabetes, obesity and certain types of cancer, but factory farms are also breeding grounds for swine flu and diseases that could be the death of us.
"The best way to protect our health -- individually and globally -- is to go vegetarian."
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Account Manager fishtank 32k to 42k per year GBP, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...