Tribal DDB Amsterdam's 'carousel' for Philips scoops Cannes Lions 2009 Film Grand Prix
LONDON - Tribal DDB Amsterdam's Philips "carousel" campaign has won the Cannes Film Grand Prix, while the UK put in a strong performance overall with a total of 16 gongs in the category.
The Grand Prix winner, an interactive long form internet film for Philips' 21:9 TV, is the second online film to scoop the Film Grand Prix in recent years, following in the footsteps of the Dove "evolution" spot which secured the award in 2007.
The chairman of the Film Lions jury, David Lubars, said: "It’s what we call a magnet. What the films must do today is draw viewers in voluntarily. And to do that they have to be extraordinarily engaging, creative and mind blowing and we think this is. It was a unanimous decision."
The UK secured three golds overall, with Saatchi & Saatchi London landing one for its T-Mobile "dance" spot, and Mother London netting another for its Stella Artois 4% campaign.
Golley Slater also secured a gold for its "army road traffic accidents" campaign for the Army and the COI.
Silver awards went to TBWA\London for its "break-up service" spot for Adidas, 4Creative’s "disarming Britain: handguns", Cheethambell JWT Manchester for its John West spot and Mother London for the Amnesty international campaign "you are powerful".
Ogilvy also secured silver for its anti knife crime "cribs" spot for MTV, along with Leo Burnett for the "house of cards" ad for Shelter and VCCP which netted a silver for its Home Office spot "girl".
The USA once again topped the list of total number of gongs with 27, including a special commendation for Believe Media LA’s "Wassup 08" ad, a spot for the Vote for Obama campaign that was precluded from winning an official award as there was no fee-paying client behind the campaign.
Meanwhile, the award for advertising agency of the year went to DDB Brasil Sao Paulo, with BBDO scooping the top place for network of the year.
The Palme D’Or went to Phenomena in Thailand, with the UK’s Academy scooping joint fourth place and Partizan and Rattling Stick securing joint sixth.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Mobile Manager Ultimate Asset £35000 - £50000 per annum + excellent benefits, City of London
- International Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Data Planner - Superb Agency - Soho - up to £50k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £50k + great benefits, Soho, London
- Senior Director - Pharmaceutical Mustard Jobs up to £60,000 doe, Central London
- New Business Director - Agency Brand Recruitment £60000 per annum + bonus, Milton Keynes
- Creative Consultant Network Career Consultants £60000 - £80000 per annum, London