Publisher auctions 'perpetual' online ad on eBay
LONDON - Dare Comics has found a novel way of monetising its online content, holding a one-time eBay auction for a 'perpetual' display ad that will run in every digital comic book the company ever publishes.
Dare Comics auctions off 'perpetual' online ad
The ad will occupy a single 6.5 x 10 inch full-page of a PDF file, which is how Dare publishes its comic books online. Copy and creative can be changed up to 12 times a year in co-ordination with the release of new issues.
"We were trying to think of an innovative way to bring the title to the attention of media buyers, something that would offer a genuine incentive for the major brands to get into business with us," Darefounder Adam Handy told clickz.com.
So far the eBay auction has attracted a single bid from an anonymous advertiser for the reserve price of £10,001, but Dare claims to be in negotiations with a number of other brands including film studios and video games publishers.
In an effort to cover ever eventuality, Dare has included a footnote at the bottom of its eBay page, which reads: ‘the collapse of the internet, the sun exploding, or other events beyond Dare's control do not invalidate the sale. Dare Comics will make the advertisement as perpetual as humanly possible."
Dare is no doubt hoping to set an example to other publishing companies searching for a business model that will allow them to properly monetise their online content.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Freelancers - All Levels Source £110 - £300 per annum, London
- Account Manager, Integrated, London Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £25000 - £30000 per annum, London
- SAM/Experienced AM, London, up to £38,000 Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £32000 - £38000 per annum, London
- Events / Production Manager (Gaming/Tech Clients) - Integrated Marketing Agency Rocket Recruitment £28,000-35,000, Central London