Publisher auctions 'perpetual' online ad on eBay
LONDON - Dare Comics has found a novel way of monetising its online content, holding a one-time eBay auction for a 'perpetual' display ad that will run in every digital comic book the company ever publishes.
Dare Comics auctions off 'perpetual' online ad
The ad will occupy a single 6.5 x 10 inch full-page of a PDF file, which is how Dare publishes its comic books online. Copy and creative can be changed up to 12 times a year in co-ordination with the release of new issues.
"We were trying to think of an innovative way to bring the title to the attention of media buyers, something that would offer a genuine incentive for the major brands to get into business with us," Darefounder Adam Handy told clickz.com.
So far the eBay auction has attracted a single bid from an anonymous advertiser for the reserve price of £10,001, but Dare claims to be in negotiations with a number of other brands including film studios and video games publishers.
In an effort to cover ever eventuality, Dare has included a footnote at the bottom of its eBay page, which reads: ‘the collapse of the internet, the sun exploding, or other events beyond Dare's control do not invalidate the sale. Dare Comics will make the advertisement as perpetual as humanly possible."
Dare is no doubt hoping to set an example to other publishing companies searching for a business model that will allow them to properly monetise their online content.
This article was first published on revolutionmagazine.com
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...