Twitter expands executive team with hire from Google
NEW YORK - Twitter has hired a key member of Google's legal team, the second Google exec in recent months, as its top lawyer and is hunting for a chief financial officer as it looks to expand and turn a phenomenon into a money spinner.
Alexander Macgillivray was deputy general counsel for products and intellectual property at Google, and played a high profile role in Google's recent $125m settlement with authors over the scanning of books of out of-print library books.
He follows Google visual design lead Douglas Bowman who recently joined Twitter to as creative director, which the Justice Department is looking into for violations of antitrust laws.
At Google Macgillivray also worked on Viacom's copyright lawsuit against YouTube and its wrangle with Associated Press over claims of misuse of content.
Prior to joining the search giant he worked at Silicon Valley law firm Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati.
As Twitter continues to grow so do the legal claims that it faces. On joining Macgillivray will have to deal with issues such as people in the public domain complaining that their identities are being taken.
This was highlighted by a lawsuit brought forward by the Tony La Russa general manager of the St. Louis Cardinals baseball club.
He launched a legal case, which he later dropped, claiming someone created an account and sent out derogatory tweets in his name. La Russa argued that the tweets damaged his reputation.
As Twitter expands and hires more staff one question it has been facing, according to a Techcrunch report, is whether it plans to sell the company sooner rather than later.
Stone Biz and co have been telling potential candidates that they have they don't plan to sell any time soon.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
- Senior PPC Account Manager (In-house) Step Ahead Recruitment £30-£40K, Staines, Middlesex
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...